Sumitomo (SHI) Demag
|Sumitomo (SHI) Demag Plastics Machinery GmbH|
Number of employees
Specializing in the manufacture of high-precision, high-performance, plastic injection molding machines, and selling over 5,000 machines annually, Sumitomo (SHI) Demag, together with its Japanese parent company, Sumitomo Heavy Industries Ltd. (SHI), is a global supplier of injection moulding machines in the world. Its global development and production network for injection moulding machines consists of four plants, in Japan, Germany and China, with over 3,000 employees.
With over 100,000 IM machines installed worldwide, the company has a presence in all major markets around the globe.
Effective January 1, 2014, Sumitomo Plastics Machinery (America) LLC merged with its sister company, Van Dorn Demag Corp., to form Sumitomo (SHI) Demag Plastics Machinery North America, Inc.
Products / Technology
Sumitomo (SHI) Demag manufactures a wide range of high-precision, plastic injection moulding machines for diverse applications. The Sumitomo Demag platform of all-electric injection muolding machines spans from 8 to 936 U.S. tons, including micro to mid-sized, high-speed thin-wall/packaging, high-duty, vertical, insert and 2-shot machine series.
A range of thin-wall, packaging and closure moulding injection moulding machines include ultra-high-speed hybrid and all-electric model sizes from 168 to 843 U.S. tons.
High-performance hydraulic machines, including configurable 2-shot models, are offered up to 2248 U.S. tons.
High speed machines for packaging applications
- Systec SP .Apllications for cycle times of 7 - 12s and flowpath-wall section ratios of up to 350 are required.
- El-Exis SP: Rapid cycle times of less than 6s and mould filling times of less than 100ms.
Sumitomo (SHI) Demag machines are suitable for caps and closure productions:
- Standard caps, seals or closures
- Special caps, seals or closures
In addition to their wide range of machinery, the company offers an extensive Aftersales support service. Beyond traditional parts, service and training support, Sumitomo (SHI) asists inu effectively managing existing machinery fleet with expert machine assessments, retrofit solutions, rebuilding, trade-in credits and allowances, and attractive financing solutions.
- 1950 - started as Ankerwerk Nürnberg manufacturing of injection moulding machines
- 1956 - built world’s first single-screw injection moulding machine
- 1970 - Demag Kunststofftechnik founded
- 1971- production of first programmable injection moulding machine, using a punched tape
- 1973 - first injection moulding machine employing a digital hydraulic system
- 1975 - first NCI programmable controller
- 1979 - first NCII programmable controller NCII with monitor
- 1979 - Mannesmann Demag Kunstofftechnik founded
- 1986 - NCIII control system introduced
- 1991- acquisition and reconstruction of the small-machine Factory Wiehe / Van Dorn ** Demag Group becomes a member of Mannesmann Group
- 1992 – introduction of the NC4 Control System
- 1996 - multi-component machine range with four injection positions presented
- 1998 - production in China started by Demag Ningbo (Joint venture)
- 1999 – introduced modular drive technology on fast-cycling injection moulding machine EL-EXIS S
- 2001 - production in India started by L&T Demag (Joint venture)
- 2002 - merger of Demag Ergotech and Van Dorn Demag under the roof of Demag Plastics Group
- 2003 - all-electric electronic injection moulding machine IntElect with water-cooled direct drives introduced
- 2005 - Demag took over 100% share and was no longer a Joint venture in China
- 2006 - introduced NC5 control system
- concentration on major branches of industry
- 2007 - concentration on three product lines
- 2008 - merger of Sumitomo and Demag Plastics Group
- 2008 - Demag Ningbo production 10 years anniversary in China
- 2015 - opening of new production in Ningbo, China
PETplanet Insider Articles
Issue 10 / 2019: Sumitomo (SHI) Demag announces new Managing Director in China
Issue 09 / 2019: High cavitation closure mould
Issue 09 / 2019: Precision, power and productivity to plastic moulders
Issue 01 / 2019: Maximum performance in minimum time
Issue 11 / 2018: Sumitomo (SHI) Demag to showcase the new IntElect2 S
Issue 10 / 2017: High speed for packaging
Issue 11 / 2016: Gerd Liebig new CEO at Sumitomo (SHI) Demag
Issue 07 / 2016: Year by year in China
Issue 04 / 2016: Capping / Closures: High manufacturing depth guarantees precision
Issue 05 / 2015: Dispensing Caps 2.0
Issue 03 / 2015: New Chief Sales Officer at Sumitomo (SHI) Demag
Issue 12 / 2013: Caps & closures – Sumitomo Demag
Issue 05 / 2012: How to make millions a day
Issue 10 / 2010: High-speed caps