Number of locations
Sukano, Schinelleggi, Switzerland, is developing and producing functional and optical masterbatches, special compounds and blends for improving the properties of bio and oil based plastics for the plastics manufacturing industry. Sukanooffers products for market applications in rigid films, thin films and coatings, sheets, containers and bottles, filaments and offers a new biopolymer masterbatch and polymer alloy series of products for increasing the performance of PLA. The Company holds numerous additive patents.Headquartered in Switzerland, it is a family-owned business with a global distribution network and three production facilities strategically located in Europe, the Americas and Asia.
Products / Technology
For PET bottle manufacture, Sukano offers the following options:
Blown bottles have to meet many requirements for best performance in their individual applications. Sukano offers a broad range of masterbatches and compounds to custom-design the functional and optical properties
- UV masterbatches extended and reliable UV content protection, without altering the original colour tone.
- White masterbatches gives highest possible opacity while maintaining excellent dispersion.
- Optical Brighteners: e.g. colour adjustments of recycled PET to give it a more neutral appearance.
- Colour Masterbatches: e.g.amber for pharmaceutical packaging.
Milk bottles have to meet many requirements for best performance in their individual applications. Sukano White Masterbatches for milk bottles offer:
- High opacity at low masterbatch dosage due to a very high additive loading
- Cost savings using reheat function
- Low dusting products increase productivity and improve cost efficiency
- Excellent dispersion of additives
Parts & devices
Parts & devices have to meet many requirements for best performance in their individual applications. Sukano offers :
- Mould release agents offer improved and easy filling of cavities during moulding, reduced need for injection pressure as well as shortened cycle time and easy demoulding
- Nucleating agents for standard, low cost homo PP
- UV masterbatches give goods sensitive to UV exposure prolonged shelf-life
Sukano offers masterbatches for recycled Polyester (RPET). Sukano has developed this series of specific masterbatches to allow the integration of virgin Polyester properties into Polyester that has been recycled many times:
- Optical brighteners reset the colour tone of recycled material from yellowish to neutral
- Impact modifiers improve the toughness of recycled Polyester in converting processes like stamping, die cutting or folding. They also improve antisplice properties for straps made from RPET
- Slip/Antiblock masterbatches for COF and blocking reduction with a minimum haze increase.
- Colour masterbatches change the optical properties of recycled polyester into the desired colour and appearance.
- Sukano melt strength enhancers react with the broken molecular chains in the recycled PET and restore them to almost their original strength. This increases viscosity and improves the mechanical properties, making the material easier to extrude and process downstream.
Founded in 1988, Sukano developed the state-of-the-art, market reference slip/antiblock additive masterbatch for PET film and sheet applications.
PETplanet Insider Articles
Issue 11 / 2020: We provide a safe environment that enables us to focus our energy on our daily operations
Issue 04 / 2020: Sukano NIR detectable black masterbatch included on French positive list by Citeo and Cotrep
Issue 12 / 2019: A recycled vision in white
Issue 09 / 2019: Time to increase the rPET content
Issue 05 / 2019: More clarity, fewer blockages
Issue 08 / 2017: Functional & optical masterbatches
Issue 12 / 2016: Functionality linked to aesthetics
Issue 07 / 2015: PET additives increase productivity and functional performance
Issue 11 / 2014: New CEO of Sukano AG
Issue 05 / 2014: Masterbatches for RPET
Issue 05 / 2009: Sukano opens new plant in Malaysia
Issue 02 / 2009: Amber for pharmaceutical packaging