|Reliance Industries Limited|
Number of employees
Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) is an Indian conglomerate holding company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. The company operates in five major segments that span hydrocarbon exploration and production, petroleum refining and marketing, petrochemicals, retail and telecommunications.
In the 1960s the company was co-founded by Dhirubhai Ambani and his brother Champaklal Damani as Reliance Commercial Corporation. In 1965, the partnership ended and Dhirubhai Ambani continued the polyester business.
Reliance Industries Limited holds position as the largest polyester yarn and fiber producer in the world.
As a Fortune 500 company, Reliance Industries Limited the largest enterprise in the private sector in India and is ranked 8th among the Top 250 Global Energy Companies as of 2016. The company has 123 subsidiary companies and 10 associate companies as of March 2013.
Products / Technology
Reliance Industries Limited operations span from the exploration and production of oil and gas to the manufacture of petroleum products, polyester products, polyester intermediates, plastics, polymer intermediates, chemicals, synthetic textiles and fabrics.
Polymers The company offers a wide range of grades for diverse applications across sectors such as packaging, agriculture, automotive, housing, healthcare, water and gas transportation, and consumer durables. Products are also exported to more than 60 countries.
- Repol (PP)
- Relene (PE)
- Reon (PVC)
- 1957 - Dhirubhai Ambani starts a yarn trading business office in Masjid Bunder, Mumbai
- 1960s – Reliance Commercial Corporation founded
- 1991 - Hazira plant coming on stream, foundation for Reliance becoming the world’s largest integrated producer of polyester
- 2000 - Jamnagar petrochemicals and integrated refinery complex
- 2002 - Reliance enters the Infocomm business (mobile telephony in India)
- 2005 - strategic decision to reorganize businesses through a demerger. Power generation and distribution, financial services and telecommunication services are demerged into separate entities.
- 2004 - Reliance emerges as the first and only private Indian organization to be listed in the Fortune Global 500 list. Reliance is the first private sector company to be rated by international credit rating agencies
- 2009 - Reliance commences production of hydrocarbons in its KGD6 block
- 2014 - Reliance Retail becomes the largest retailer by revenue
PETplanet Insider Articles
Issue 02 / 2020: From PET manufacturer to expert adviser
Issue 12 / 2015: National seminar on edible oil packaging - exploring growth opportunities