|Niigon Machines Ltd.|
The canadian company Niigon Machines Ltd. is a manufacturer of injection molding machines founded in 2008 by Robert Schad under the name of Athena. In October 2018, Athena announced that it changed it's name to NIIGON - a word from the Ojibwa native people that means ‘for the future’.
Niigon Machines Ltd. has developed a rugged, accurate, and flexible two-platen machine platform that features energy efficiency, process repeatability, and reduced mold maintenance working together with customers, suppliers, and mold makers. Machines come in clamp forces from 150 to 550 metric tons and are covered by a 5-year warranty.
Niigon focuses a modular machine which is customizable with pre-engineered options, a just-in-time manufacturing and offers a 5 year warranty.
In 2016 NIIGON opened their new just-in-time manufacturing plant with 14,000 sqm.
Products / Technology
The company produces compact high-performance injection molding machines with multiple pre-engineered options for customization. Pre-engineered options:
- integrated 3rd party hot runner controllers
- modular ejectors
- integrated servo functions
Niigon has developed more than 50 pre-engineered options for market-specific machine customization – for example:
- PET, stack, rotary table, or cube
- Multimaterial injection, two-stage injection, injection-compression
- Increased injection speed and/or torque
- Screw geometries and shut-off nozzles
- Increased clamp stroke & daylight
- Integrated mold services (process water, air, vacuum, hydraulics, and servo cores)
- Integrated auxiliary equipment (e.g. hot runner controllers, conveyors)
- Software functions such as machine remote monitoring and remote notification
- 2008 – founded by Robert Schad
- 2016 – new manufacturing plant with 14,000 sqm
PETplanet Insider Articles
Issue 09 / 2019: Prepared for the future
Issue 07 / 2019: Flexibility is the key
Issue 12 / 2018: Athena changes name to Niigon Machines Ltd
Issue 09 / 2017: Working closely together with mould makers
Issue 09 / 2016: Reorganisation at Athena
Issue 07 / 2016: Athena – Husky legal battle ends
Issue 03 / 2016: Athena – Sipa relationship ends
Issue 11 / 2014: Athena‘s systems center is taking shape
Issue 04 / 2013: 84, and still going strong!