Loop Industries™, launched and founded by Daniel Solomita in 2015, is an innovation technology company that created a revolutionary process that decouples plastic from fossil fuels, braking down waste PET palstic to its base building blocks. These are then combined to create virgin-quality PET plastic that can be used in for food-grade plastic packaging.
Today Loop Industries™ is the only company in the world that can create virgin-quality PET plastic from all forms of waste PET plastic, with zero energy input. The result is good for the environment, and good for manufacturers seeking to provide their customers with sustainable choices they demand. Loop Industries™ process aims to accelerate the world’s shift toward sustainable plastic and away from our dependence on fossil fuels.
On September 24, 2018 Loop Industries™ and Indorama Ventures announced a joint venture to manufacture and commercialize sustainable polyester resin to meet the growing global demand from beverage and consumer packaged goods companies. With the forces combined the two companies invest in a multi-billion dollar sustainable PET resin and polyester market opportunity. The 50/50 joint venture will have an exclusive world-wide license to use Loop’s technology to produce 100% sustainably produced PET resin and polyester fiber with plans to begin commercial production in Q1 2020. The production from the facility will be fully subscribed by leading global consumer brands.
Products / Technology
Loop™ Industries' breakthrough technology allows for all types of waste PET plastic to be upcycled into high purity, food-grade PET plastic, which includes the PET plastic found in carpets and opaque bottles, which ends up in landfills today.
Loop Industries™ is not a recycling company. It‘s about up-cycling. Through the patented zero energy depolymerization technology, the waste plastic is completely broken down into its monomers:
- Dimethyl Terephthalate (DMT) and Mono Ethylene Glycol (MEG) – without heat or pressure.
- The monomers are then purified, removing all coloring, additives, and organic or inorganic impurities.
- From there, the DMT and MEG are repolymerized into Loop™ branded PET plastic.
Loop Industries™ technology drastically reduces environmental impact. While it significantly reduces waste, it also functions without heat or pressure, requiring zero energy input and greatly reducing greenhouse gas emissions. PET production using Loop’s technology versus the traditional manufacturing of virgin plastic made from fossil fuels:
- 63% less impact with respect to Global Warming
- 79% less impact w.r.t. Ozone Depletion
- 88% less impact w.r.t. Smog
- 86% less impact w.r.t. Solid Waste
- 97% less impact w.r.t. Non-cancer-related toxicity
- 85% less impact w.r.t. Ecosystem Toxicity
- 88% less impact w.r.t. Acidification
- 80% less impact w.r.t. Non-renewable energy demand
- 92% less impact w.r.t. Eutrophication
- 83% less impact w.r.t. Respiratory effects
PETplanet Insider Articles
Issue 07 / 2020: Loop Industries and Suez to build first infinite Loop rPET facility in Europe
Issue 04 / 2020: Loop Industries announces signature of multi-year supply agreement with L'Oréal
Issue 04 / 2019: L'Occitane and Loop Industries sign supply agreement
Issue 03 / 2019: Loop Industries expands supply agreement with Danone for 100% sustainable PET
Issue 11 / 2018: PepsiCo and Loop sign rPET agreement