AG Barr, best known for its IRN-BRU, Rubicon and Funkin drinks brands, has confirmed it plans to be carbon net zero by 2040. Under its No Time To Waste initiative, the business has set out its ambition to be totally carbon neutral ten years ahead of the UK’s proposed 2050 deadline. It has also confirmed that IRN-BRU and Rubicon will be in 100% recycled plastic (rPET) bottles by spring 2022.
Bringing together multiple energy, packaging and waste initiatives under one collective banner, No Time To Waste publicly reinforces the company’s aim to increase sustainability and ultimately reduce environmental impact.
To date AG Barr has already made great strides through:
- 100% recyclable soft drinks packaging
- clear on-pack recycling messages on all containers
- 20% less plastic in bottles over the past decade
- removal of difficult to recycle plastic sleeves from 14 million bottles
- 50% rPET across Strathmore and Rubicon brands
- 100% renewable electricity at all its sites
- a 41% reduction in greenhouse gases since 2015 and
- all non-hazardous waste diverted from landfill
The company knows there’s more to do. Under No Time To Waste in 2021 it will:
- significantly reduce the use of virgin plastic through 100% recycled film on all consumer multipacks
- introduce paper straws on small juice packs
- be among the first in the UK to introduce only plant-based plastics in its 1ltr cartons
And following IRN-BRU and Rubicon in 2022, AG Barr will roll-out 100% rPET bottles across all brands by 2023. As a founder member of Circularity Scotland, the new not-for-profit administrator of Scotland’s Deposit Return Scheme, AG Barr is also committed to creating a truly circular system for drinks containers.
Roger White, AG Barr Chief Executive said: “As a responsible business this is a hugely important programme for us. But today’s announcement is only the start. Under our No Time To Waste programme we are openly committing to be carbon net zero by 2040, if not sooner, and plan to involve all our staff, suppliers and customers in achieving our long-term vision”. AG Barr plans to continually update its No Time To Waste roadmap as milestones are met and new goals are set on its journey to net zero.