“Already in their second year the Plastics Recycling Awards Europe have come of age, thanks to the quality and depth of entries we have received,” said Ton Emans, PRE President and awards judge. “Together our seven winners show outstanding innovation in recycling to use plastics in a truly sustainable and circular way. Congratulations to them all!” The winners each received a trophy, with a 3D printed base made from 100% recycled ABS plastic car dashboards and the multi-colour top which is laser cut from compressed HDPE beach clean-up bottle caps.
The recycled plastics demo car by Volvo Cars, demonstrates that recycled plastics definitely have a place in the automotive industry. The jury lauded Volvo’s pioneering work in this area: a total of 170 plastic components in this demo XC60 were replaced by recycled plastics. A unique accomplishment and deserved of this award.
The sustainable, 100% rPET, flat wine bottle by Garçon Wines and RPC M&H Plastics is an innovative mail order wine bottle that fits through letter boxes. This product fits perfectly with the spirit of our times. The packaging combines convenience and cost-effectiveness with a lightweight sustainable design, ticking all the boxes required in packaging today.
Gian De Belder is the face of Procter & Gamble’s commitment to sustainable development. He has worked tirelessly to develop solutions to problems such as the recyclability of Opaque and Difficult to Recycle (ODR) household and personal care PET bottles. He is the project leader of Procter & Gamble’s Holy Grail project, which is developing industry-wide system for watermark and tracer technology. He has put recycling on the map, both for the industry and consumers and was therefore unanimously voted this year’s Plastics Recycling Ambassador by the jury.
The Corema Cascade Extrusion System, extrusion line for mechanical recycling of post-consumer thermoplastics by Interseroh Dienstleistungs GmbH and Erema Engineering Recycling Maschinen und Anlagen Ges.m.b.H was recognised by the judges as the most innovative combination of processing technologies that delivers cost-effective recycling of post-consumer plastic to produce high quality plastic material.
These are the winners by categories:
- Automotive, Electrical or Electronic Product: Volvo Recycled Plastics Demo Car, Volvo Cars
- Building & Construction Product: MPO Easy Channel, Multiport GmbH
- Household & Leisure Product: PBD Collection Bag, Cedo Folien- und Haushaltsprodukte GmbH
- Plastic Packaging Product: Garçon Wines sustainable 100% rPET, flat wine bottle
- Plastics Recycling Ambassador: Gian De Belder, Procter & Gamble
- Product Technology Innovation: REC-NIR-BLACK, Ampacet
- Recycling Machinery Innovation: Cascade Extrusion System Corema by Interseroh Dienstleistungs GmbH and Erema Engineering Recycling Maschinen und Anlagen Ges.m.b.H.